The fight continues . . .

So. . . today I met w/ my surgeon. The news is not real good but I know I will beat this, I just know it.

I need another surgery. I need clear margins and in this case, it didn't happen (which I understand is kind of common). Here's a breif discription of margin info:
Getting the Message About Surgical MarginsIllustration © Pam Stephan
What Are Surgical Margins?
When your tumor is biopsied or surgically removed, your surgeon takes out more than just the tumor –- some tissue around the tumor is also taken. This border of tissue between the outer edge of the sample and the tumor is called the surgical margin. After your surgeon removes the tissue, it is carefully enclosed in a container and sent to the pathology lab. The pathologist uses a special ink to cover the outer edge of the entire tissue sample. Then the sample is sliced into thin sections and examined under a microscope. The edges, as well as the margins, are checked to see if any cancer cells have strayed outside the tumor and, if so, how far they have gone.
What's next? July 21st - I am scheduled for a double mastectomy. Yep. Both my girls are going. The benefit for removing my left as well as my right breast outweight the negative. So, I'm wrapping my mind around having the girls gone. The surgery is once again, outpatient. Recovery will take around a week or two. Then once I'm fully healed, I'll start Chemotherapy (and possibly Radiation). I should be assigned to an Oncologist any day now.

My milk dud was larger than anyone thought it would be. 2.5cm x 2.5cm x 2cm
17 lymph nodes taken and 6 of those tested positive (cancer cells)

OK. I need a break from all this cancer talk! So, on my way back to work I stopped and had a very much needed pedicure! And it was just what I needed!




Please keep positive energy flowing my way! I can feel the love!!!!!! Your prayers, thoughts, cards, letters, phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. . . are really giving me strength to get through this!!!!

Comments

mz marz said…
You're my hero Nancy! I know you're going to beat this damn cancer. I'm always here for you, Jeff and the boys anytime, anywhere... Just call/text/email me & I'll be there. Love your twinner, mz marz
PS I love you toes, they look fabulous! Good for you. You need to take care of your body, soul & spirit. Great playlist!
Nancy Stelianou said…
Nancy--Thank you for all the good explanations, info. etc. --and for the strong positive feelings that are just radiating from you. You make me feel very encouraged. I loved hearing your voice when I called a couple weeks ago. You sounded very up. Now keep up with your postings and I will, too. Love you much--- Aunt Nancy
Michelle said…
That's my girl! Love the pedicure results. As you know, sometimes we get knocked down, skin our knees, but then get up, wipe the dust off our skirt and move forward with our heads held high wearing bright shiny shoes. Well, this time we (YOU) have been knocked down much harder, so instead of getting up and walking away we will get up fighting. I love you my friend and my girl.

Popular Posts